<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, August 29, 2013

Important Media Commentary

I really don't know how I've made it to Thursday without posting about Sunday's VMAs, but here goes. I'll admit that I actually turned them off for a fairly sizable portion, so things like Taylor Swift's reaction shots and, you know, the actual winners of the alleged awards are sort of lost on me. But boy do I have opinions! I guess I should start with the thing that everyone is talking about, Miley Cyrus. I'm kind of blown away that the sexuality seems to be what people are focusing on, as opposed to the fact that it was just plain bad. She really appeared kind of lost up there, as though she had only a few moves programmed into her (stick out tongue, gesticulate wildly, twerk) and had to just keep repeating them at random. It was like watching Small Wonder try to prove she wasn't a little girl any more. Also, how is there not more chatter about Robin Thicke's gut? I mean, you're up there for ninety seconds, Thicke, suck it in.

Lady Gaga I thought was fine. I do feel kind of weird about seeing her actual face sometimes now; she's definitely more of a heavy makeup and costumes kind of gal. And yes, the song does sound a lot like Madonna, but hasn't that really always kind of been her shtick?

Was it just me, or was Justin Timberlake on for like an hour and a half? I mean, he has three albums; he's not fucking Bob Dylan. And it was weird and kind of sad to see all those other N*Sync guys again; they're not all in the best shape of their lives and they looked way too grateful to be on national television for all of thirty seconds. I'm sure Chris Kirkpatrick is trying to shop a reality show based on this exposure right now.

And why was Katy Perry at the Brooklyn Bridge again? Was the traffic too heavy for her to make it all the way in? Or are they just pairing acts with random landmarks now? I can't wait to see Rhianna at Mt. Rushmore or, better yet, J. Lo twenty thousand leagues under the sea.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?