<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, August 25, 2013

Late Show

We went to see Elysium last night because the neighbors had warned us they were throwing a party and it was basically the only somewhat palatable movie playing in the right time frame at an acceptable movie theater. It was all right. It was definitely more violent than I had expected, to the extent that I suddenly decided I had to go to the bathroom during one particularly intense scene. I'm pretty sure I missed some plot points as a result, but I never expect science fiction to make a lot of sense to me anyway, so it wasn't a problem. It was pretty interesting to look at, at times, although other parts of it sort of fell back on the standard dystopian future tropes, complete with bombed-out landmarks and oppressive faceless bureaucracies. The acting was kind of meh. I enjoy Matt Damon just fine, but sometimes it feels like he is working really hard to find an emotion of some kind to put out there, and I have no idea what accent Jodi Foster thought that she was doing, or for that matter why. And the whole thing seemed kind of long, although it really wasn't. I guess Lifetime has really primed me to expect my movies to be wrapped up in an hour and forty minutes, excluding commercials. I don't apologize for asking for the best.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?