<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Scandalized

Besides my sister's wedding, the other big recent event has been the Scandal marathon on BET. I'm late to the party on this one, but I watched the seven episode first season earlier this summer on Netflix and was immediately hooked, only to discover that the second season was not available and would not be until fall. My first reaction was of course to write angry letters to Netflix, ABC, Shonda Rhimes, Kerry Washington, Denzel Washington, and the late George Washington Carver, but that resulted only in the broadening of the existing restraining order held against me by the representatives of the estate of Time Magazine's "Black Leonardo" of 1941. Fortunately, salvation came, as it often does, in the form of BET, which showed a marathon last Saturday and completes it next Saturday. I DVRed the heck of it, even though that meant deleting the episodes of The Office and 30 Rock I had been saving since 2009.

So far, it's (spoiler alert!) amazing. The plot moves really quickly and they have a story of the week every week in addition to the ongoing story lines, so you always get some sense of resolution. There's lots of peppy dialogue and the acting is pretty good, although I will admit I've now had my fill of Kerry Washington staring glumly at things. And BET itself is a fantastic new discovery for me! Did you know they have a show about people who want to be gospel singers, most of whom are not particularly camera ready? And who tend to get very emotional and/or utter ridiculous platitudes? They also have a show called The Game that, as far as I can tell, is about a sassy li'l African-American girl who says "Wait, what?" with an excess of attitude. Also reruns of Everybody Hates Chris, so you know they're a major player in the industry.

Something tells me my 10-11 PM Frasier rerun block is about to get a run for its money.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?