<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, October 07, 2013

Journeys

So I went back to my undergrad for homecoming last weekend. It wasn't my reunion year, but I had to go because they were giving me an award. (Yes, I'm kind of a big deal.) No, it was not Prettiest Eyes or even Craziest Driver, unfortunately. It was the Young Alumnus of the Year award, which I really deserve, given how hard I work at being young. I was twerking and tweeting all day long to get myself into the appropriate mindset.

Let me say that they told us in advance that we would have 1-2 minutes to accept the award, which I figured meant that we would just basically say "thank you" and head back to our chicken. But it turned out that all of the other honorees actually prepared remarks, which meant that I spent much of the dinner typing notes into my iPhone which I then couldn't use because I didn't want people to think I was texting from the podium. So I winged it, which actually went all right. It's a forgiving crowd, perhaps because some of them remembered me as the only person in their class who actually read all of David Copperfield.

In addition to the dinner, they also introduced us honorees at the football game, which meant that I attended a football game. We were in the president's box, though, so there were sandwiches and cookies involved. Also the dance team completely blew my mind with their rendition of Cotton Eyed Joe. Words of comfort in a troubled time, let me tell you.

The rest of the weekend was pretty much just eating, drinking, and failing to remember people's names. I have to admit that I'm sort of disappointed that it wasn't more like the classic Mischa Barton Lifetime movie Homecoming; no one tied me to a bed or swung an axe at me. Maybe next year?

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?