<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, February 22, 2014

Joyful, Joyful

So Joyful Noise is on right now. I'm not sure I can say that it's the worst movie of all time -- Katherine Heigl has made a lot of movies -- but it's certainly not great. And yet every time it is on I find myself drawn to it, and not solely because it has a climactic musical number of the type that makes me want to get out my show choir gloves. (Just kidding; I wasn't allowed to keep the gloves.) Here are just a few highlights:

-- Dolly Parton's face.
-- The crazy rivalry between Dolly's and Latifah's characters that results in a food fight at the restaurant where Latifah character works.
-- The fact that Latifah's character is surprised to be fired from said restaurant after engaging in said food fight.
-- Dolly Parton's character's duet with her dead husband, who is played by Kris Kristofferson.
-- The many references to how beautiful Keke Palmer's character is.
-- The screaming match Latifah's and Keke's characters have in the elevator lobby of some sort of Best Western, including a dramatic slap and the phrase "I am a board certified supermodel."
-- The many excruciatingly colorful characters in the choir, including a woman who kills a man by having sex with him and a man who apparently does not know his family hardware store is closing until he drives up to work one day and sees the signs.
-- The fact that the movie casually features a child speaking in tongues.
-- Courtney B. Vance being in this movie.
-- The fact that no one has bothered to submit a plot synopsis for this movie to IMDB yet, even though it came out in 2012.

Also, every time I see this movie there is at least one scene that I don't remember having ever seen before. Is it possible that they are still writing and directing new material? It's such a rich vein to mine.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?