<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, April 01, 2015

News & Views

We went to Spain. Madrid and Barcelona, specifically. It was pretty great. Fascinating history, beautiful architecture, lots of museums. Sangria. Cava. Paella. It was nice not to be in a country where the local cuisine drives me to eat at Burger King once a day. I mean, don't get me wrong, I still at ate Burger King, but only because I wanted to, not because I had no other options.

There is really so much to tell. I couldn't sleep on the plane on the way there and I ended up basically hallucinating from exhaustion our first day in Madrid. There must have been some sort of Spring break or something going on because there were groups of rampaging children at pretty much every cultural institution we visited. I got trapped in a bathroom stall in the Prado and the cleaning lady had to release me. I guess I'm not exactly starting with the highlights.

Madrid was cool and old with all sorts of quaint twisty streets, on many of which I was nearly run over. The parks were really nice and it was in the fifties or sixties each day. I give their palace a solid A minus. And the Barcelona was amazing. Just such a fun, relaxing place to be with so many interesting things to do. We basically stalked Antonio Gaudi, despite the fact that he's been dead for like a century. We got delightfully lost in the Gothic quarter and saw lots of Roman ruins, which are way better than our ruins stateside. We accidentally bought twenty euro worth of chocolate at the open air market.

Pictures to follow.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?