<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, July 23, 2015

Chicago Med

Having spent a fair amount of time helping my mother navigate the medical system this past year, I have to say it's maybe not my favorite thing in the world. (I do still like it more than intestinal parasites and Kim Kardashian, however. But I repeat myself.) Today, for instance, I took my mom for an endoscopy. This is a seven minute procedure. We were there for four hours. Now, of course, some of that was waiting for the anesthesia to take effect and wear off, but a lot of that was also just dicking around. After they got her checked in and prepped we literally sat there for an hour without anyone so much as checking in on us. There wasn't even a TV so we could catch up on our Y&R or something while waiting. Just anecdotes about my mom's students from twenty years ago. Pretty compelling stuff.

On the plus side, the actual waiting area where I sat during the procedure was pretty amazing. Lots of comfy chairs and couches, ample outlets for charging of devices, and even a piano in case Chopin dropped by for a tummy tuck. Oh, and they gave us a little electronic buzzer so we would know when it was our turn, just like at Bennigans. Plus the views were surprisingly great. Which is what you really want when a loved one's life is on the line (or in this case, their acid reflux).

Big thumbs down to the cafeteria cheeseburger, however. Limp lettuce and one tiny tomato? You can tell it's not McDonald's, because I ain't Lovin' It.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?