<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, January 25, 2016

Teach for America

I don't know if I've ever mentioned this here, but I teach some law students who shall remain nameless a subject that will go unmentioned at a school that I won't specify. And I've been doing it for years, too, so for all you know everything I'm about to say is about some jamoke who graduated in the late aughts. Or perhaps it's about a composite character I invented based on some things that actually happened and some didn't. Like an old school Law & Order, any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I love my students. For the most part. They're smart, they're articulate, they participate in class, and sometimes they're even kind of funny (and some of that is even intentional, I think). But I also hate them a good portion of the time. They view all deadlines as purely optional, if they even bother to take note of them at all. They ask me questions that I've already answered a dozen times, in writing, sometimes bold and underlined. They ask me for all kinds of help that has absolutely nothing to do with what I've been hired to do. I mean, I sympathize with your concerns about getting a travel visa, but I really don't think driving you to the consulate falls within my job description. And no, I don't think I should come to your Cinco de Mayo party. In fact, I'm really concerned about you even having that party, as it is a very tricky one to not make racist.

Anyway, I think everyone should probably teach at some point, because it really helps you think about how you do what you do and, better yet, how you learned how to do it. And also because it's awful. And great at the same time. And isn't that really what America is all about?

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?