<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, June 25, 2016

Save Ferris

On Tuesday we went to see Ferris Bueller's Day Off in Millennium Park. Now, if you are at all familiar with my neuroses, this probably does not seem like something I would do. And in fact, it was not my idea -- our friend wanted to do it for her birthday. But it was not in fact an idea that panned out particularly well for me. It was an absolute mob scene. We went over there right after work and the entire lawn was already covered with people. We got a tiny space on the very edge of it and claimed a little bit of sidewalk as well. Then about ten feet worth of people claimed the rest of the sidewalk. I barely had room to enjoy my burrito bowl in peace. And as far as watching the movie goes, that was pretty much out of the question. They started it well before dark so it was barely visible, and people did not hesitate to talk over all of the dialogue. Then, shit really got real.

I decided to step out to tell my sister and her family not to come, since there would be nowhere for them to go unless they happened to be in possession of some Ant Man suits. When I got back, I found that they had closed the gate to the lawn and were refusing to let anyone through. And there were some very sizable and sassy ladies enforcing that decision, ladies who were apparently impervious to my faux folksy charms. Nor did they seem particularly interested in Ian's pleas from the other side of the fence. So we left less than halfway through the movie, which of course we hadn't particularly been watching in the first place. Mainly I was sad to miss out on the pie someone had brought.

Anyway, the lesson I've learned is that going places is difficult and seldom worth it. Better to stay home and rewatch Murder, She Wrotes for the tenth time.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?