<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, June 20, 2016

The Longest Day

Apparently the longest day of the year is a day earlier this year because of leap year? I didn't realize that could happen, and yet this information comes from my mother, who is almost as reputable a source as Google. The longest day of the year is important to us, because darkness makes us cry unexpectedly and eat uncontrollably. And so each year we try to commemorate the occasion somehow, even if some years it's just taken the form of me heading up to my roof for five minutes after getting out of work at 10:30.

This year we went to a rooftop bar in Old Town, my past and future home. (The neighborhood, not the bar. I don't think they'll let me move in there.) It was insanely hot out, but we were in the shade, so we did not die. In fact, I didn't even sweat through my shirt. My mother had a single glass of prosecco and I had let's just say more than a single glass of rose. It was a bit of a scene, but I could tell I was not the only person there with a parent. The fact that the waitresses kept offering to take our picture suggested that this was not their first time experiencing this arrangement.

It was a nice night. And now the days start getting shorter again. Stupid passage of time. Personally, I am against it.


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?