<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, October 23, 2016

Series Finale

I don't know if you've heard, but the Cubs are going to the World Series! For the first time in approximately ten million years. I won't claim to be a hardcore fan, but I've certainly been a casual fan for my entire life. I grew up listening to the games on AM radio with my dad because we didn't get any TV channel that carried them. And we suffered through years of bobbled catches, horrible six-fingered closers, and scapegoated men in headphones. So I am happy that our long regional nightmare has ended and there will be still more October baseball in Chicago.

I am, on the other hand, terrified by all of the related festivities. Last night we went up to my sister's place, formerly known as my place, to watch the game, and we only lasted three innings. Now, part of that was because we feared Aubrey would burn our house down if we left her alone for too long since we were both out all day as well. But another part of it was because the crowds were so huge that you would have thought there was a Kenny Chesney concert or something. There were lines stretching down the block outside every bar, including the really terrible ones that are best known for being places where murders happened under a different bar name. I heard some places were charging up to a $100 cover charge for the pleasure of standing in a sticky mixture of urine and miller light and getting groped by an actuary from Elgin. So we caught the end from our own place, which was no less festive, if certainly less claustrophobic.

So yes, Go, Cubs, Go! But also feel free to continue to keep a safe distance from my house.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?