<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, December 23, 2017

Merry Christmas, Baby

You may have noticed that, from year to year, my life generally stays about as consistent as Lisa Rinna’s hairstyle. I haven’t “taken a break” from the corporate world to go “find myself” (and likely Typhoid) on a tour of Southeast Asia, nor have I moved to Portland to open an artisanal mouse pad store. I don’t have a mistress whose single about Instagram I’ve agreed to produce, and I rarely, if ever, burn anything down for insurance money. My life generally consists of work, dogs, friends, Netflix, and the occasional legally-themed musical comedy show. I’m good with that. I’m unlikely to inspire an episode of Locked Up Abroad anytime soon, but at least I’m not the real-life impetus for the hit CBS comedy Kevin Can Wait, starring professional fat man Kevin James and that lady who hates Scientology.

This year, though, has been eventful! I left behind the glamorous world of appellate arguments before half-awake septuagenarians and prisoner briefs written in feces to join the white collar defense and investigations group at Seyfarth Shaw LLP. For all you non-lawyers, this means I now represent people who are being threatened with imprisonment for accidentally putting a decimal point in the wrong place at a large, private firm where, unlike at the state, paper towels are not viewed as a BYO item. So far, I like it a lot, though I’m still far from that Ally McBeal dreamscape of dancing babies and courtroom attire that allows the jury to see one’s uterus. Personally, Ian and I finally got married this year, in a darling courthouse basement ceremony alongside pregnant teens in their Quincenera dresses and the alarmingly continuous sound of running water. Immediately, of course, everything changed, and he became the Eric Roberts character in a Lifetime movie. We honeymooned in Hawaii, a place so beautiful and relaxing that even my obsessive-compulsive instinct to map out every single minute of every single day on a series of Post-Its had to yield. And just for good measure, we’ll be returning to Vienna in March with my Northwestern students, who will spend their evenings drinking liquors not yet legal in the U.S. and their days arguing international arbitration issues and wishing they or I were dead.

So that’s a lot, for me, and I’m happy to have the holidays as a time to pause and reflect. And by “pause and reflect” I mean eat the “Cookies & Scream” M&Ms I stockpiled from Halloween while binge watching Westworld episodes I’ve already seen with my mother. You see, Ian spends his holiday with his parents in Minnesota (which is the most Midwestern phrase of all time), and my sister and her family travel out to New Jersey to visit with the Bates relatives, so my mom and I are on our own. With three dogs, who could easily overpower and kill us. But it’s actually kind of magical just to have some time off to relax and do nothing of any importance, other than continuing to add to my mental list of resentments against our neighbors, of course. That Santa you’ve dangled from your balcony looks like a hanging victim, okay? Children will have nightmares, and not just the ones caused by our now-constant threat of nuclear war.

Speaking of which, I’m certainly not trying to pretend that everything this year has been sunshine and roses, even though that sounds like a new fragrance from Jennifer Love Hewitt. I’m as much a fan of civil liberties as the next person, unless that next person is Susan Sarandon, and I’d prefer not to be shot in the head during a 7:15 screening of The Emoji Movie. But at the end of the day, my own conduct is all I can control, and I try to make the world a better place, one dog costume at a time. Or one holiday greeting, for that matter. Happy holidays and best wishes to you and yours for a great 2018!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?