<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, September 30, 2018

Let's Go Crazy

Ian and I finally saw Crazy Rich Asians this week. We enjoyed it. From the previews, I was a little concerned it would be two hours of Michelle Yeoh hilariously disapproving of Constance Wu -- sort of like a long-overdue remake of Monster In-Law -- but it there was a lot more to it than that. I actually really enjoyed just seeing all of the images of Singapore, which I am horrified to report I think I maybe had confused with Hong Kong? But regardless, it seems like a really cool place, even if the movie does make it seem like they eat too many crustaceans for my liking.

I thought the cast was all pretty entertaining, even if the movie did seem to me at times to make every character wacky in some way in that Big Fat Greek Wedding mold. Awkwafina deserves an Oscar for the hairstyle alone, and I found Gemma Chan quite delightful throughout, although the writers did sort of appear to forget that she had her own plotline at times. Personally I could have done with less Ken Jeong, but America seems to disagree with me on that, so so be it. Ain't everything for everybody.

I did have kind of a problem with the central romance, though, in that the movie utterly fails to address how this couple would ever work going forward. I mean, it's not like his family is going to move to the U.S., and apparently her professorship in New York is so important to her that she could never move, even though (1) she's probably living in a one bedroom with three roommates on a professor's salary in Manhattan and (2) she doesn't seem to ever actually want to like, grade papers or work on lectures or anything during her alleged Spring Break. And even if the family has genuinely come around to accept her at the end, is she ever really going to feel comfortable around them given the hell they put her through? And her mother? I'm not saying, I'm just saying.

Anyway, cute movie, good times. And now my pop culture knowledge is caught up to a month ago.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?