<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, July 28, 2019

American Ninja Warrior

Last week I was tasked with taking my nephew to his ninja classes. I did not know that was a thing, but I sort of envisioned him throwing sharp objects and kicking people. That was not it at all, as it turned out. The class involved lots of toddlers in a padded room climbing and jumping on things. And in my nephew's case, talking. It seemed he felt that each of the physical challenges presented to him benefited from his explanation to the staff in advance. It was not clear that the staff felt the same way.

My role, fortunately, was limited to playing with my phone in the waiting area and handing him his water bottle when he wanted it, which was not often. There were also snacks to be awarded if requested, but the request did not come, so he ended up eating them in the car on the way home. Oh, and I had to give him encouraging looks from time to time. As they say, it takes a village to get a child to climb a rope.

As compared to the previous activity I took him to, baby music, I have to say that this did have the benefits of (1) wearing him out more and (2) not exposing me to people who seem crazy. I mean, I know that people who work with kids have to be energetic, but they shouldn't seem like the go home at night and have full conversations with their dolls. These people really just seemed to be in it for the love of ninjas.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?