<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, May 31, 2021

Long Weekend 

For some reason, I had envisioned this weekend as being restful, involving catching up on magazines while lying in the sun and drinking various alcoholic beverages. I was way off. 

As an initial matter, the temperature was in the 50s for a not-insignificant portion of the weekend, so laying out was not exactly an option if I continued to value my extremities. Even sitting out on our friends' roof deck wearing a jacket and basking in the glow of a fire table turned out to be somewhat of a stretch. I can't really complain about this, though, as I'm nearly twenty years into a Chicago residency -- cold-induced misery is part of what I signed up for.

I also can't complain about my two visits with my niece and nephew, although they did exhaust me. At forty-three, I am probably still too young to be saying that I'm too old to get down on the floor to closely monitor Lego play, but I do at times have visions of being unable to get back to my feet. Also, is it fair for me to point out that children's stories often don't seem to go anywhere? Rising action and falling action, guys, come on!

There was also a trip to the Art Institute with my mother. I won't complain about that because I really enjoy going, but I do prefer my art without other people's heads in front of it. Come to think of it, social distancing was actually kind of my dream.

I also went running a lot. I worry about people who say they love running, as it is sheer torture. I do want to be thin, though. People are willing to forgive a lot more from the truly thin.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?