<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, January 16, 2022

Super(immunity)man 

So I guess there's a little bit of good news, in that expert consensus seems to be that people (like me) who got COVID after being vaccinated and boosted will likely have a high degree of immunity that should last months, or at least until a new variant pops up. I fit a lot of caveats into that sentence, I recognize, but given that infectious disease experts seem to spend most of their time these days telling us we're all going to die, I'll take “I would feel really comfortable being out and about if I had a recent omicron infection” as a pretty positive message.

The question is, what am I going to do with it? And the answer is not much. With an unvaccinated child under 5 in my social network (my niece, not a friend from work), I'll still want to be pretty careful. Also, it's January in Chicago, which is generally not my preferred time for, say, taking my top off at a street fair, regardless. So maybe we'll go out for dinner while we can get reservations at places we usually couldn't get in to (or also maybe Applebee's, who knows?) or see a movie in theaters (how else can we enjoy the fellowship of people texting and loudly eating candy?). Probably we won't start following Phish around the country, I'd guess. 

Anyway, feel very jealous of my immunity. And less jealous of the fact that I spent new year's in isolation. We can't win them all, you know.


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?