<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, January 23, 2022

Tube Time 

We've been watching some TV lately, as one does. We finished off Search Party, which we enjoyed a lot. I'm a big fan of how they just went ahead and did weird things that were funny to them, like giving people last names that were also ordinary nouns (i.e., Bob Lunch, Dr. Carpet, Dr. Baby). Also great how the characters were truly terrible people, not just in the Seinfeld sense of being self centered, but the actual sense of being liars and murderers (spoiler alert from four seasons ago). And excellent guest stars like Louie Anderson (RIP) and Jeff Goldblum (seems likely to never die). A definite recommend, though only if you like your humor dark like your chocolate or the Mariana Trench.

We also watched one season of The Other Two, which was pretty enjoyable. It's a bit more traditional in terms of structure and pacing, but well written and performed. It's got just about the right dose of Molly Shannon and a fun running gag about Debra Messing. (Who is sort of her own running gag.) Plus, the guy who played Hank Voight's son on Chicago P.D., though I am probably the only person who noticed that. My eye for prolific supporting actors is both a blessing and a curse.

Because I am a good son (unlike Hank Voight's son), I also re-watched season one of The Wire so my mother wouldn't have to do it alone. Actually, part of that was during our COVID isolation, so we watched it in separate rooms and then talked about it on the phone afterwards. (The Wire over a wire, if you will.) It holds up really well. McNulty is still a disaster, Kima is still amazing, Wallace still gets killed and I still have to leave the room for it. (Spoiler alert from 2002.) We're planning season two for Barb's summer break.

Oh, and we're three episodes into Hawkeye. It's all right. I have to admit I was doing other things while it was on. Which was fine for dialogue, but then there would be action sequences and I would have no idea what was going on because I was, like, pricing overalls on Amazon or something. I don't think I can really fault the creators of Hawkeye for that one. But Hailee Steinfeld? They're going to have to answer for that one.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?