<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, May 14, 2022

Going, Going, Gone 

Getting ready to move has been a really good impetus for us to do things that we probably should have taken care of years ago. For instance, some of the cabinets in the kitchen have had a tendency to randomly swing open since like a year after we moved in. This is not due to a haunting, though that was my first impulse; the hinges just needed to be tightened a bit. Yet for years we kept them shut with rubber bands and tape, as getting a screwdriver out was just too much work. Now, they are fixed for whoever is lucky enough to buy this place from us. Or there's the much-needed weeding of our linen closet. After years of denial, we have finally parted with the pillowcases that were bleached out by one of my many dermatological treatments. And I drove the sheet sets for bed sizes we no longer have to what I think was goodwill, although it may just have been random cardboard boxes some miscreant set up outside goodwill after hours. Either way, it's handled, as Olivia Pope said during her brief window of national popularity.

And then there's the Netflix DVDs. Yes, they still exist. And yes, I am still subscribed, even though it generally just means I pay $10 each month (or whatever it costs now) for the privilege of having Fences sit on my shelf for over two years. But I am breaking up with them before the move, at least once I watch the last few discs they sent me. (Please don't tell them yet; I want them to hear it from me.)

Which is how we came to watch Gone With the Wind this week. I had never seen it and thought it was something that I should be aware of as part of pop culture. And, well, I guess now I'm aware. I have to applaud them in a weird way for managing to make a civil war boring. And developing so many characters that seem almost uniquely designed for me to find irritating. The endorsement of marital rape is an interesting take. And then there are the characters of color, who seem to have been largely okay with the whole slavery thing. So yeah, not the best four hours I've ever spent. Although I was playing Mario Kart simultaneously with some of it, so I guess it wasn't a total wash.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?