<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, May 08, 2022

Out of the Mouths 

That was actually the title of a show I was in when I was in middle school. It was a shockingly dark play that was supposed to have been written by kids for kids, but I've always suspicioned that the parents of those kids may have been more than a little bit involved. Or maybe all the other kids just had a lot more awareness of their peers being molested or considering suicide than I did. But anyway, I'm not actually here to write about my time as a child star, for once. The babes sharing wisdom this time are my niece and nephew.

Jack has some old man mannerisms at times that are pretty amusing. Since he was like three he's been using phrases like "I surely do" and "he's a neat guy." Yesterday he gave me an extended dissertation on why he doesn't like his cheese sandwiches prepared a certain way. And a few weeks ago he literally put his hand over his face in disbelief when I brought him his water in a regular cup instead of one with a cap and straw. "I mean, I'd spill it all over the place," he explained. I was tempted to argue that would be his fault and not mine, but it seemed uncharitable.

Maggie is still at an age where she launches into random soliloquies, like a few weeks ago when she greeted me not with a "hi" but rather a long explanation of how I could choke if I sucked on my thumb. Which I was not doing, by the way. But good advice is good advice. My favorite, though, was when she learned about Easter in her (religious) pre-school and told me "Jesus rose from the dead on Easter. He must be so happy!" It depends on which version of Jesus you get, Maggie. The Catholic one sometimes has some weird ideas.

So yeah, that's some kid stuff for you. Think of it as the "lighter side" portion at the end of your local news, but in blog form.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?