<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, September 05, 2022

As the World Turns 

I'm watching a woman brandishing an umbrella as a weapon as she creeps through her darkened kitchen in a Lifetime movie right now. It somehow feels like a fitting end to this holiday weekend, and to the end of summer, in tradition if not the actual calendar. And I hate it. I'm not one of those people who's like "oh yay, pumpkin spice and sweater weather." I would take summer year round if that wouldn't require moving to Florida or California. (Nothing personal, but I don't like reptiles or driving.) 

Not that it wasn't a nice weekend. We went to a wedding in Madison, or rather in a barn near Madison. (Not like an actual functioning barn with manure and such, like a retired barn where they can serve alcohol.) The actual ceremony was short, the bar was very much open, and there were late night sandwiches, so it was a win on pretty much every level. Plus, we listened to the entirety of the classic Ashlee Simpson album "Autobiography" on the way back, for some reason. And suddenly I was transported back to a simpler time, when comically large belts and freaking out about terrorism were still in style. 

Today the journeys continued with a visit to my sister's family, where we barbecued, as is legally required on Labor Day, and were pelted repeatedly with soccer balls by the kids. And I ate a lot of corn. So it's been great, aside from the fact that I haven't seen the sun in three days. It's not like it keeps us alive or anything.


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?