<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, March 04, 2023

Oscar Talk 

After an amazing effort last year, when we managed to see all of the Best Picture nominees before Oscar night, this year Ian and I stand at a pathetic 1/10. And that 1 we only obtained last weekend, when we powered through the 2.5 hours of TAR. Which was fine. I actually did think it was a pretty interesting movie and quite different from most of what's out there. But I'm not ready to, like, go as Lydia Tar for Halloween next year or anything. Or I guess it would have to be Slutty Lydia Tar, since that's the entire point of that holiday.

Anyway, I'm just not feeling very motivated to be better about this. I found the first Avatar to be laugh out loud terrible in places, not to mention the 3D headache, so I'm not signing up for second (or third or fourth) one. Baz Luhrmann movies also give me a headache, and I've never been a huge Elvis fan to begin with (though I do identify with Fat Elvis). I never even saw the first Top Gun, although I definitely lie and tell people I did, so they won't think I was a homeschool baby or something. I have a strange aversion to Irish things that I will never be able to explain (maybe the Lucky Charms leprechaun bullied me as a child?) and I prefer body parts to remain attached, so The Banshees of Inisherin is out for me. And All Quiet on the Western Front I read in junior high like everybody else, and like everyone else I'm not especially anxious to revisit that era. 

The rest I've got nothing in particular against; I just haven't gotten to them yet. We've actually been trying to watch Everything, Everywhere All at Once pretty much ever since it came out, but it's not available on any of the hundreds of streaming services we subscribe to and I don't want to pay for it on principle. (I know, it's like $20, which I easily spend on cheese in any given month. The thing about principles is they don't have to make sense.) Someday, Somewhere at Some Point, I guess. 

So yeah, I'm a failure. If I have to be a failure at something I think this is a pretty good option, though.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?