<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, May 29, 2023

They Say It's Your Birthday... 

I had two birthday parties to attend on Saturday. The first was my nephew's. He turns 8 later this week, but as with dead presidents and civil rights leaders, we observe it on the weekend. Actually two weekends, as the party for his friends is next weekend at Charles Entertainment Cheese. But the family was forced to celebrate without ball pits or cardboard-tasting pizza at home. There was taco dip, a cake with that thick frosting that is so sweet you feel vaguely sick afterwards, and of course presents. Many, many presents. We got him a book, which we knew would not be instantly celebrated, and a Mario Brothers themed playset, of which I was rather jealous. Of course, we all had to get something for his sister, too, to avoid an epic meltdown. (This is what happens when you negotiate with terrorists in Biden's America.) But I think all was successful. Full stomachs and minimal crying, which I can't even say of my average work day.

The second party was a private room karaoke party for my adult friend. I hadn't done this is a while, since the pandemic revealed the inherent filthiness of almost everything, but it was fun. There were twelve of us in a room with four microphones and two bars just down the hall -- you have to like those numbers. There were some surprises, like our tribute to Sister Act 2 falling flat while "Part of Your World" brought the house down, but as our nation's former poet laureate Alanis once said, "you live, you learn." I woke up hoarse and dehydrated the next morning, which is a sure sign of an evening well spent. Also of a painful 9 AM mass trip with one's mother, but that's a story for another time.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?