<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, October 14, 2023

Berlin Stories, Part 2 

More pictures from the trip! Whether you want them or not!

This is Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church. It was bombed all to heck during the war, and they decided to leave it that way as a reminder. I use my iPhone for that, but this is a lot cooler.

This is the inside of the modern chapel they built to accompany the bombed remnants. I love me some stained glass with my religion.

This is a ballroom at Charlottenburg palace. Apparently, when they were restoring it, they asked people to vote on what kind of fresco should go on the ceiling. Then they went with the one people didn't vote for. And I'm really glad, because I think it's pretty, and generally people have bad taste.

This is the outside of Charlottenburg. It's not in my top five palaces, but it's pretty solid. 

At the DDR museum, they let you virtually try on East German clothes. I think I look pretty good, aside from the fact that my head isn't really sitting on my neck.

More East Berlin. The TV tower is one of the tallest structures in Europe. Also a great place to overhear Americans having ridiculously misinformed conversations about world history.

So, this is not the real Checkpoint Charlie. The real one was torn down and then later they built this one as a tourist attraction. Which worked, because there was a line twenty people long to take a photo there. Note that I did not stand in the line, but took this one from the second floor of the Wall Museum nearby.

This is from the Wall Museum. This lady hid inside a hollowed-out speaker to escape from East Berlin. Which is great, until you want to listen to music, and it's like, oh wait, there's a lady in here.

Speaking of ladies, the lady on this poster for a "virtual reality experience" that we did not participate in seems to be having a great time. Something's going on with that hand, though.

This is the victory column in the Tiergarten. More stair climbing. They should make this a Peloton class.


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?