<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, November 11, 2023

More Incredible Journeys 

This time into the heart of my colon! 

I had my first ever colonoscopy this week, and I don't want to brag, but I had no polyps and don't have to do another one for ten years. Also I received the top score on the Boston Bowel Preparation Scale. Is it weird to put that on my resume? I'm intensely proud of my clean colon.

It was definitely a process, and by that I mean awful. A full day of a clear liquid diet, which meant the most substantive food I got was 90 calories worth of chicken broth. And then I had to drink all the prep liquid, which resulted in me calling my mother in a panic to ask if she thought I really had to finish it. She did, and I did, with the help of Ginger Ale, which I actually don't even really like. But boy did it help with the nausea. My love and admiration to Ginger Ale forever for that.

And yes, I spent a lot of time on the toilet during the prep. I have never been so current on Instagram. It seems like the cast of One Tree Hill had a lot of fun at their get together.

The procedure itself was surreal. I had no sense that I was "going under," and yet my memory jumps straight from them prepping the IV to them telling me it was almost over and I was doing great. (Obviously.) And then the recovery room, where I napped for half an hour and then they gave me apple juice and pretzels. Again, not even a huge pretzel fan (though I do love huge pretzels) but I will remember and love those pretzels for the rest of my days.

Anyway, I've got an amazing colon and you should all be jealous. Take that, America.


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?