<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, January 27, 2024

Oscar Talk 

First things first, this is not going to be any sort of discourse on Barbie and its nominations and/or non-nominations. I'll leave the hot takes to the people who actually want attention. (Well, I want it, but only the positive kind.) I did finally see Barbie and enjoyed it but I've never for a second believed that awards nominations would ever be any sort of objective barometer of quality or social worth or any of those things. The Oscars are just a thing that happens and its fine or its not but at least it's not sports for five seconds every year.

Anyway, as we often do, we've been trying to see some of the Oscar movies. It's not ideal, as it will require some degree of leaving the house in winter, as several of the nominees are not yet available on demand. But we did see Maestro, which I liked. I'm actually a complete expert on Bernstein because I read a biography of him last year, and I thought the movie was a good representation of his complexity. And frankly I would have been good just hearing the music again, because it's amazing. We also saw Saltburn, which ended up being nominated for nothing, but I really enjoyed it. Yes, it was insane and filthy and thank god I didn't try to watch it with my mother, but I thought it was beautifully shot, well acted, and completely worked on its own crazy terms. I do reject any attempt to label Barry Keoghan as "hot," as he is like four feet tall and a bit busted, but I'll look at anybody nude. 

We saw Oppenheimer this summer and thought it was good? Maybe I've posted about this before? I'm too lazy to go back and look, but I thought the acting was strong, the story was well put together, and it didn't feel as long as it was. And I generally feel like I could cut twenty minutes out of every single movie without anybody really missing anything. And we saw The Holdovers. I guess I thought I'd laugh more, but I don't really know why I thought that. It was well done and I enjoyed it just fine. Feel free to put that quote on a poster.

Anyway, I guess we're about halfway through the best picture nominees. I doubt we'll make it all the way, but hey, we're doing stuff.


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?