<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, April 14, 2008

Parental Control

Well, my parents are in town. That means I've been eating at lots of sensibly-priced family restaurants and watching far more of the History Channel than I am accustomed. (It turns out the Nazis were bad!) So far, the trip has been relatively without incident. My dad did wander into a restricted area at the Art Institute and set off a few alarms, and I did at one point tell my sister that she "wouldn't care if her parents got hit by a car," but that's pretty much par for the course. And my parents are in some kind of educational conference today and tomorrow, so I have the blessed leisure to work without interruption. I'm sure I'll pay it back in Bennigan's this evening, however.

We did take in the Edward Hopper exhibit at the Art Institute on Saturday, which was fairly remarkable. Having so much of an artist's work in one place really helps you to understand it better, even if that artist is a seventh grade girl with a certain skill for drawing Tweety Bird. But Hopper is actually one of my all time favorites, and it was wonderful to see the progressions and themes in his works. It was a bit maddening to see every painting amidst a thronging crowd sucking on contraband watter bottles and taking verboten cameraphone pics, but I'll take it as I can get it, I suppose.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?