<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, July 11, 2009

Concerns

I put on Miss Congeniality this afternoon while I was doing a little bit of work on my computer and I realized that I can no longer tell if I am enjoying it ironically or actually enjoying it for its merits just a little bit. I mean, yes, it is terrible, right? The concept is silly, the characters flat, the dialogue stiff and unrealistic, and even the costumes somewhat lame. But it does contain a makeover, and any movie that does so is pretty much automatically wonderful. And I have to admit that every now and then I find myself smiling just a little bit at Candice Bergen's ridiculously over the bitch goddess routine and William Shatner's well worn himbo shtick. And at least it's not Two Weeks Notice, right?

I mean, let's be clear: I do not own Miss Congeniality, I did not see it in theaters, and I have never watched it all the way through from beginning to end. Moreover, I have seen Miss Congeniality 2: Armed and Fabulous and can clearly discern that it is only to be enjoyed ironically, if at all. But I fear that as to Miss Bullock's first entry in the fish out of water market, my cold black heart may be melting just a little bit. And it terrifies me.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?