<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, December 15, 2011

Strong

On Wednesday I was forced to admit that I was exhausted and struggling at work all day because I had stayed up late the night before watching Country Strong with Gwyneth Paltrow.

I probably should not say more than that, because it will clearly incriminate me, but I think this confession is good for my soul.

It was supposed to be an ironic thing. And it was going to be in two parts. But then somehow everyone wanted to finish it. Maybe just to get it over with. But it was two hours long. And so full of Leighton Meester, doing her best Streetcar Named Desire accent. And Gwyneth acting all messed up and angry. It was quite the spectacle. There was yelling, crying, stumbling -- and that was just in my living room.

The most remarkable thing about the movie is that there is not really a single likable character in it. Unless you count the conversion van the band rides around in. I've got nothing against conversion vans.

And yet, when the movie was over, I found myself in a room full of people saying it was really not that bad. I fear Gwyneth Paltrow Stockholm Syndrome is spreading. Suddenly I have the urge to start a macrobiotic diet and watch A View From the Top.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?