<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, April 23, 2015

On the Aisle (Seat)

I forgot to mention that my recent international flights gave me the opportunity to catch up on the recent cinema. Also to eat freeze dried beef, but that's another story. Here are my thoughts on a few no-longer-current releases:

St. Vincent -- Every bit a manipulative as I feared it would be, but I still fell for it. It was nice to see Melissa McCarthy in non-caricature mode, and Naomi Watts' accent had to be seen to be believed. Bill Murray is well recognized as a national treasure, so I need not say any more.

The Imitation Game -- Somehow I thought there would be more to this. Very straightforward, old fashioned storytelling. It was kind of like The King's Speech but with homosexuality in place of the stuttering. And human beings in place of Helena Bonham Carter.

Foxcatcher -- Okay, I was pretty bored. Good performances, fascinating story, but lots of talking. And not talking. Also, not sure what I was supposed to take away from it. Other than Channing Tatum in a singlet.

Whiplash -- I thought I would hate this, but it was pretty good. Completely implausible and kind of painful to watch at points, but entertaining. I do want to stress that I still find Miles Teller fleshy and weird, however.

Obviously, an excellent use of my time. Next up: my key learnings from the Sky Mall catalogue.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?