<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Please, Call Me "Sir"

I've come to the conclusion that I've made it impossible for my secretary ever to respect me again.

This is not just because she walked in on me listening to Godspell in my office today, although I think the chorus of "O Bless the Lord My Soul" would have in and of itself have been sufficient. For a moment I was terrified she might think I was listening to a praise CD, but then I realized that might actually be a plus to her, for all I knew.

It is also not just because I have allowed her to begin coordinating my fashion choices with her own and those of other secretaries. Tomorrow is supposed to be Green Sweater Day, but I'm thinking I'll be a rebel and wear olive. You've got to take risks in life.

Nor is it solely because I allow her to spend most of her day eating lunch, trash talking other attorneys with her secretary friends, and reading romance novels. If I didn't have to bill my time, I'd be doing the same thing.

In truth, it is all of these things. That and the fact that I almost cried in front of her when she told me that the floater secretaries had accidentally destroyed all my records from the week she was gone. Never once in the whole run of Matlock did you see that guy in tears.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?