<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, August 10, 2006

My Totally Awesome Legal Road Trip

Monday and Tuesday I got to hit small town America again for one of my cases. It was the kind of place where the Wal-Mart is the hottest spot in the county, and it's not even a Super Wal-Mart yet. It was the kind of place where they have restaurants that serve "famous" chicken and are named after people you've never heard of. It was the kind of place where there are essentially only five different family names in town, and everyone knows everyone. In short, it was much like the city of my upbringing, and I felt right at home.

The best part of the trip was probably that they randomly upgraded my hotel room for free so I was in a "whirlpool suite." This really just meant that there was a hot tub right in the middle of my bedroom. Of course, my coworker ruined my leisurely dip by suggesting that "you wouldn't want to bring a black light near that whirlpool for fear of what you might see," but it was still a plus. And I don't have crabs yet, so I'm assuming I'll be fine.

Another fun thing was the fact that opposing counsel felt the need to scream ten-minute-long objections during the deposition. Many of them appeared to be drawn from episodes of Matlock; still others came from the Don King school of rhetoric. He also announced that one of the questions was "like that old trick -- when did you stop beating your wife?" We had to "strongly disagree" on the record, but deep down our hearts were full almost to bursting.

Oh, and I had to make copies for about half an hour because all the secretaries had gone home. The sad part of that was that it was way better than how I spend most of my days.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?