<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, March 29, 2007

Liar, Liar

Do you ever find yourself lying in everyday conversation just because you're bored?

For instance, the other day I was riding in the elevator with a very nice lady from my work who was incessantly nattering at me about the weather. Wasn't I happy that it was so nice out? In March? Weren't we just so lucky? But didn't I think it might rain later? Wasn't that what the weather guy on WGN said? Wouldn't that just be awful?

Somehow I found myself telling her that I was "just a few credits shy of a meteorology degree myself" and that I had "studied with Willard Scott." I then informed her of a "cold front moving in from Mexico" and took my leave.

Or once I was chatting with a secretary at my old office who was obsessed with Beanie Babies. She kept going on and on about Beanie Tigers and Beanie Giraffes to the point that I wanted to Bean her. But instead I convinced her that I make my own Beanie likenesses of past American presidents out of a variety of felts and discarded clothes. This backfired, because I had to spend the next year or so coming up with reasons I couldn't get together to "really show her how it's done," but it was almost sort of worth it.

Anyway, I guess the point is that I'm easily bored. Pity me.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?