<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Celebrations

So we had our Thanksgiving Dinner at Ruby Tuesday's on Thursday. It was all part of our continuing effort to prevent my grandmother from attempting to cook a ten-course meal and thereby killing herself. Of course, there aren't a lot of options for restaurants that are open on Thanksgiving Day -- even Applebee's had no room at the inn. I had a chicken sandwich with onion straws. Just like the Native Americans brought to the first Thanksgiving!

I also did my annual hunt for Christmas cards, visiting at least four stores I would otherwise not set foot in. Big Lots was a bit disappointing this year; not only were there no hilarious Christmas cards, but their lots in fact proved rather small. Hobby Lobby suddenly got all classy on me and had just a small selection of rather tasteful cards, and although the Dollar Tree remained America's leading source for off-brand candy by the pound, it also lacked any decent card options for me. Finally I found success at KMart, one of the only stores in America where you can buy tires and evening wear along the same aisle. And that may be the only time in history that you hear the phrase "I found success at KMart."

Tomorrow I head back to Chicago. My time off is always so terribly short!

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?