<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, October 18, 2009

Not Going Anywhere

Just about everyone I know who blogs has quit blogging at one point or another. I feel like there are very few people who have the endless capacity to find themselves interesting that is necessary to maintain something like this on an ongoing basis. I mean, it's always possible to find an angle for your blog, like spilling the latest gossip on whichever celebrity has the hot sex tape right now or sharing your accumulated wisdom on bass fishing, but barring that, you're sort of stuck with yourself as the topic du jour. Yourself as you watch The Nanny on Nick at Nite. Yourself as you learn the true meaning of Christmas. Yourself as you suffer with irritable bowel syndrome. After a while, frankly, you can come to hate yourself. Although probably not as much as your readers do.

Of course, quitting presents difficulties of its own. First of all, as human beings we always long for closure, which is why all those Mummy sequels were an absolute necessity. So if you're going to go out, you need to go out with a bang, or at least a somewhat eloquent whimper. As I lack the droll articulateness of a Joseph Heller or a Joe Eszterhas, I'm not sure I'm game. Second, as human beings we are by nature indecisive, which is why we can't decide whether we like Brendan Fraser or not (probably not, though). This also means that any retirement isn't necessarily likely to stick. And then you come back with lots of awkward 'splainin' to do.

So all of this is really just a ridiculously long winded way of saying that I'm not quitting. Although I do get a bit tired of this place at times, I'll just continue to do as I always have and disappear for days at a time. But I'll be back. Unless I get attacked by wolves or something. In which case, hey, nice knowing you.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?