<$BlogRSDURL$>

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

They're Just Like Us!

I want to preface what I'm about to say with an important disclaimer: I do not now, nor have I ever, subscribed to Us Weekly, People Magazine, Life & Style, OK!, In Touch Weekly, In Touch with Style People Weekly, or Hustler. Like many others, I just happen to read them from time to time at the gym. If my views of them are slanted by the fact that I'm generally on the verge of cardiac arrest at the time I'm reading them, I apologize.

But anyway, I have realized that the letters to the editor in these magazines are an important and disturbing cultural barometer for America. Doesn't the fact that at least four people have strong enough opinions about Jon and/or Kate and/or the Plus Eight to write in to People tell us something about our the state of American culture? Or the fact that even a single person has the time to write a letter about how happy they are that Shania Twain has found a new love? The letters about the many, many weight loss articles are especially illuminating. I never knew there were so many size-14 women out there with lots of self confidence and the inclination to utilize Us Weekly's email address.

I do have to admit that I've learned a lot about the Kardashians, though. Did you know that one of them is getting married? And another one (I think a different one, but I couldn't swear to it) is pregnant? Also all of their names start with K.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?