<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Funny Games

Did I mention that I got Mario Kart Wii? I guess I felt that I wasn't enough of a shut-in already and needed another reason to stay home on nights and weekends. You might not think that driving a fake car would be all that entertaining to someone who regularly tries to convince others to drive his real car for him, but it turns out it really is. I think the difference is all the consequence-free sideswiping you can do. Also, unlike a real car, you can drive your Mario Kart through the middle of a mall.

There's a lot of hilarious stuff about Mario Kart, frankly. For one thing, it's ridiculously Japanese, with rainbows and Hello Kittyesque woodland creatures all over the place. For another, it features all sorts of obscure Nintendo characters I've never even heard of, such as Waluigi and Baby Peach. I'm sure they're embossed on someone's backpack somewhere, but I don't see them getting an animated holiday special any time soon. Oh, and look at the dirt I dug up on Birdo (the egg spitting monster from Super Mario 2 who now resides on the MKWii) on Wikipedia:

Ever since the North American release of Super Mario Bros. 2, Birdo's gender has been at issue. The manual asserts that "he" is a crossdressing male who believes he is a girl, and would rather be referred to as "Birdetta." Later versions of Super Mario Bros. 2 make no mention in either the manual or the video game itself.

Who says kids can't learn anything from video games?

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?