<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, January 31, 2011

Field Work

So I went to a special event at the Field Museum this weekend. I always kind of like to go to these things because the museum is closed to the general public, which means that you can check out the exhibits without being jostled by marauding field trips and overhearing people's inappropriate remarks about evolution. Of course, this event was largely for families and children, so I did still have to deal with packs of wee ones running past at top speed to slam their filthy hands up against the various delicate exhibits. These things are always a trade off.

They had a special exhibit about gold, which ended up being kind of a disappointment. Literally they just kind of had a bunch of gold objects strewn around the rooms. It was like, hey, here's a gold nugget shaped like a seahorse (or Solange Knowles, it is hard to tell). Here's a gold snuff box some dude kept his weed in back in Victorian England. Here's Susan Sarandon's Oscar. (I was kind of disappointed that it wasn't Sandra Bullock's, since I've really wanted to take that one back.) I mean, we get it, you can make gold into stuff. Fan- fucking -tastic.

I did see the dinosaurs again, though. And the children's buffet was really delicious. Hey, I'm certainly not above slumming it with the tots when there are mini hot dogs involved.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?