<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, July 23, 2011

The Social Event of the Century

We had my grandmother's 100th birthday party today. She actually turned 100 last week, but not all of her friends and relatives could make it back then, so we had the party this week. It was a gala affair. I wore gray plaid slacks with a white dress shirt and red tie by Banana Republic, thank you for asking. Catering was by the Tony's at the Holiday Inn of Quincy. There was also a sheet cake.

For me, the event largely involved making small talk with relatives I've not seen in ten years and then "translating" that small talk for my grandmother, by which I mean repeating it at a higher volume. Of course there was also commenting on the deliciousness of the food I was eating and inquiring about people's health. Oh, and we had a PowerPoint with pictures of my grandmother in the various decades of her life. That was a Meg S joint.

It is pretty hard to believe it's already been 100 years of my grandmother. And not just because she smoked until she was in her 70s and has eaten red meat and heavy starches pretty much every day of her life. It's just that it seems like it was just yesterday that I was bringing her to grandparents' day at Monroe Elementary School to show her the bitchin' mailbox I made out of old milk cartons. But I did double check my calendar, and that was in fact not just yesterday. Yesterday I mainly spent playing Angry Birds.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?