<$BlogRSDURL$>

Thursday, November 22, 2012

THX

And it's Thanksgiving yet again. Probably the best way to sum up my day is to tell you that right now my sister and I are playing around on our computers/phones while our parents watch an episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation. Yes, Jean-Luc Picard is holding court in my living room. And in fact it has been a day highly defined by parental tastes. There was our buffet luncheon, a trip to the dog park (there was literally no one else there), and of course our trip out to see Lincoln. I think we'll probably wind things up by putting on some light jazz, drinking a dessert wine, and playing canasta.

As for the movie, well, it was honestly pretty good. Daniel Day-Lewis was really convincing, although I personally had always imagined Lincoln a little bit deeper-voiced and less kooky. Sally Field was appropriately nutters, though I remain upset by the lost opportunity for a Big Momma's style fat suit. Tommy Lee Jones was pretty much just Tommy Lee Jones, but the part suited him well. In my view, Spielberg kind of blew the ending by jumping back in time from the downer death scene for some more inspiring speechifying, but it wasn't that big of a deal. And I did sort of feel like I saw every single conversation that went into getting the 13th Amendment passed, but it is one of the better amendments, so I guess I'll allow it.

So much to be thankful for. Like the ability to end sentences with prepositions without being called out for it. Good times.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?