<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, February 02, 2014

The Super Bowl of Not Caring About the Super Bowl

Most years I go to a friend's house for the Super Bowl, since I know it's part of our shared American experience or whatever, even though I personally could not care less about football. And I do like to eat dips and wings and pizza, which one does not generally associate with, say, the opera or a poetry reading. So I go and pretend to know players' names and have opinions about the teams and quietly hope the halftime show is somehow actually interesting this year.

But this year we decided to skip the pretense. And I'm not going to lie, it was pretty amazing! We went to the gym and pretty much had all the best treadmills all to ourselves, plus I got a swim in during what would normally be family swim time because all the families were apparently off enjoying the bone crunching violence known to be so wonderful for children. Then I went to the late mass and didn't have to worry about some stranger with a horrible cough coming to sit right next to me. And we went to see Frozen with an audience of about five people!

I can easily see myself doing this every year. Although the lure of fatty foods is admittedly pretty strong. Maybe I can hook a tray with some potato skins up to my treadmill.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?