<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, June 14, 2015

Boy II Man

We watched Boyhood this week. I thought it was really good and am honestly kind of amazed that it didn't win best picture. I blame that creepy Entertainment Weekly cover where they spliced together pictures of the kid at three different ages to make it look like they were all hanging out. And let's be real that puberty was no less difficult for that kid than it was for the majority of us.

Anyway, I felt like the fact that they shot it over the course of many years, combined with the semi-improvisational approach, made it feel so much more authentic than anything else out there. There were a lot of moments in it that reminded me of my own experiences, even some experiences that I had forgotten about until I saw the movie. And I loved that they didn't feel like they had to pick all huge, pivotal moments in the kid's life; sometimes it was just bowling with Ethan Hawke, which sounds like the worst prize from the silent auction.

It was too long, of course. But I feel like a movie that covers years of a person's life has more reason to be long than, say, Transformers. Although I would love to see how Optimus Prime changed as he grew up. Somebody get me a meeting with Michael Bay.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?