<$BlogRSDURL$>

Wednesday, September 02, 2015

Show Me State
We just finished watching Show Me a Hero on HBO, and it was pretty amazing. I've never really watched too many miniseries, unless you count the fake ones like American Horror Story, but I was drawn to this one by the involvement of David Simon. As you've probably noticed, I am one of those people who will back you into a corner at a party and tell you all about how great The Wire is. Plus the reviews were good, and in my experience critics are never wrong about anything.
I have to admit that it started out a bit slow for me and I had trouble getting used to the fact that I actually had to pay attention at first. I'm pretty accustomed to being able to eat a sandwich, work on my computer, and knit a fantastic sweater while watching television. But as it went on, I got really hooked. The performances are all pretty strong and there are probably a dozen compelling little stories that weave together to create the narrative. Yes, there is an Angsty White Guy that sort of serves as the central character, but they've made him so flawed and complex that he's fascinating, and all of the other characters get their due as well. By the last two (of six) installments, I was actually becoming somewhat emotional, and not just because I'm on Zyrtec-D right now, which totally messes with my brain. 
 
Anyway, if you're looking for something to watch, it's good and not a major investment of time. Which is vital, because god knows we are all very busy and important these days. 

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?