<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, January 10, 2016

Hollywood Minute

I've been catching up on movies lately, and not just the kind that air on the Hallmark Channel and star Days of Our Lives line reciter Alison Sweeney. We actually went to a movie theater for the first time since like July the other day, to see Joy with my mom. (At 10:20 AM on a Sunday, no less.) It was all right. I am officially no longer willing to give Jennifer Lawrence the slack to play women like twenty years older than her, but I always enjoy David O. Russell's dialogue and find it fascinating to see Elizabeth Rohm when she's not ruining Law & Order. And Isabella Rossellini should, I feel, be president of something.

We also watched the latest Mission:Impossible on demand. I like watching things on demand because by the time the cable bill comes I've always completely forgotten about watching them. Surprises are fun. The movie was entertaining, though it suffered from a shocking lack of people dangling off of very tall buildings. I guess I just don't find Tom Cruise believable playing a human being any more. And what is the purpose of Jeremy Renner? Just generally in life, even. I don't really get why he's there.

And yesterday we watched Ant:Man, which I ordered when I realized that I still subscribed to the DVD service but had not ordered anything for a year, choosing instead to leave two Key & Peele discs gathering dust at my mother's apartment. This one I actually enjoyed a pretty good amount. The first half hour or so was a bit slow, but once people started shrinking and riding CGI ants and shit, it was pretty amazing. I've got no beef with Paul Rudd, despite the fact that he does not appear to age, and I still have a lot of residual good will for Evangeline Lilly from the Lost years, which not even the terrible wig could destroy. It's a great choice if, like me, you suddenly realize you haven't watched any movies not made for TV over two weeks on a soundstage in Canada since Flag Day.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?