<$BlogRSDURL$>

Monday, January 18, 2016

Thank You, Dr. King

Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day has always been one of my favorites. When I was still at a law firm, it was one of the few days that they actually closed the office, perhaps because they were afraid otherwise people would think they were racist. Of course, all the attorneys pretty much came in anyway, because we basically did that every day of the year. It was nice to work without the noise of secretaries screaming at each other about their lunch orders, though. Or the mail guy with the inane comments centered on what day of the week it was. I bet he's chairman of the firm by now.

Anyway, now that I'm in government, we fully believe in taking days off, and I am at home. I decided to observe the occasion by trying out a new fitness class, which will likely have me paralyzed in a matter of hours. Until then, though, I'm catching up on some writing and some household tasks. I haven't shred anything in like a year and a half, because I hate cleaning up the stray little shreddies afterwards, and therefore have a stack of financial statements about as high as my waist to get through. Also our front door won't stay closed for some reason, and the strategy of propping it shut with an umbrella is probably not optimal. So yeah, I won't be bored.

I do realize that it is more than a little bit sick to get up at my normal time on a day off and spend the entire thing working, but hey, we have to be honest with ourselves about who we are. I'm not the world's best relaxer, but I sure do know a thing or two about organizing a closet.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?