<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, December 31, 2017

The Year in Review

Much as 2017 was kind of a blur, I think it is actually a legal requirement at this point that I do some kind of year-end retrospective. It was a year of big events for me, for instance a new job, which has turned out to be pretty great. My previous experience at a large firm left me, well, nearly dead, but so far I've really enjoyed my new gig. There's lots of free soda, which is important to me, and I have an adjustable-height desk that makes a fun whirring sound as I move it up and down for no real reason. The access to office supplies is top notch and, oh yeah, I actually generally like what I'm doing. So there's some year in review for you!

Ian and I also got married, which changed pretty much nothing, other than giving me an excuse to continue to be derelict on developing an estate plan. It was a courthouse wedding, which I made extra romantic by scheduling it for the day of my office move so that I could be sure no one would be trying to reach me. Oh, and there was Olive Garden catering! Three kinds of pasta, three kinds of sauce, three kinds of meat, dozens of breadsticks, and a big old vat of soup. That's how all of the best marriages have started -- look it up.

What else, what else? There was Hawaii, but I've probably already said way too much about that. And it's subzero here now so thinking about it depresses me. There was this year's Bar Show, where I wore a bald cap that made my head look like a giant tumor. There were a lot of fun social events, which probably wouldn't fare well in transcription. It was a fun year.

And then there's culture. GLOW was a lot of fun, even for those of us who aren't into ladies beating on each other. Master of None was more like Master of FUN, and I can't think of any puns about Lady Dynamite, but we liked it. On the drama side, we loved The Deuce, despite the presence of James Franco, who I consider to be America's most punchable celebrity. Mindhunter made serial killers fascinating without having to resort to anybody wearing anybody else's skin. And a show that was the opposite of that in pretty much every respect, Vanderpump Rules, pretty much made my entire year.

So that's 2017. Minus all the politics and news and stuff, because frankly who can bear it? 2018 has such a much better sound to it, as years go.


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?