<$BlogRSDURL$>

Saturday, February 26, 2022

Florida Man 

Did I mention that we're going to Tampa for a short break soon? Well, we've actually discussed rebranding it as a a trip to Sarasota, but at the end of the day our airport code is TPA. (I note that it is an international airport, though, so I shall treat it as the Paris of Florida.)

What motivated this trip? Principally I would have to say having flight credits from our COVID-cancelled trip to Mexico. Also hating Chicago winter, to be sure. Should I pretend I've heard they've got a thriving alternative music scene or something? Mainly I just want to lie in the sun.

Fun facts about Tampa, per Wikipedia:

-- In the early 1900s, Tampa was considered "The Cigar Capital of the World," although there is shockingly little information on what other cities vied for that esteemed title.

-- The highest point in the city is only 48 feet (15 m) above sea level, which kind of blows all the mountaineering plans I made for the weekend.

-- The only snowfall officially recorded in Tampa occurred on January 19, 1977, with local accumulations ranging between a trace and 0.2 inches (0.5 cm). If time travel is invented while we're there, I'm definitely going back to that day just to fuck with people.

-- Most of Tampa's high rises demonstrate post-modern architecture, which I assume is a euphemism for "whatever makes developers the most money."

-- Overall, Tampa is 50th out of the largest 51 metropolitan area in the percentage of the populace that attends religious services of any kind, with less than 35% of the population regularly attending services. Mainly I just want to know why they decided on a sample of 51 metropolitan areas; were they really just itching to stick it to Portland, OR as #51?

-- Companies headquartered in Tampa include Greenway Health, College Hunks Hauling Junk, Arturo Fuente, J.C. Newman Cigar Company, Masonite International, Sykes Enterprises, Cott Corporation, The Melting Pot, Checkers and Rally's, and The Mosaic Company. So if you want to get an MRI while paying strangers to move your glass tiles and grout, it might be the place for you!

Another fun fact about Tampa, per me: my iPhone really wants to autocorrect it to tampon. Which seems like a branding issue, to be honest.

Anyway, we're going! Sometimes going places is better than not, so here's hoping.


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?