Sunday, July 19, 2026
Smoke Gets In Your Eyes
In the department of climate change being fake news, the past several days have seen the city of Chicago (and many other places in the US, I hear) blanketed in smoke from wildfires in Canada. This is totally normal and nothing to worry about, except I can't remember it ever having happened until a few years ago and the air quality index Thursday literally labeled our air "Hazardous." Like, they were cancelling all outdoor events for it. And one of my coworkers had to pay $90 for a car to take her a mile from our office to our firm dinner because so many people were opting not to walk in the open air. Amazing when multiple ways our society is falling apart manage to coincide like that.
I mean, there are certainly worse things that people suffer in the world, but it was definitely dismal to look out the window and not really be able to see the sun. And I reject the idea that it smelled like a campfire; I think a tire fire is probably closer to the mark. Let's just say it didn't put anybody in the mood to make some S'mores.
Yesterday and today have been a bit better, and I'm not one to overuse the phrase "apocalyptic hellscape," but lordy this ain't good.