<$BlogRSDURL$>

Sunday, September 20, 2026

Soaking Up the (Fake) Sun 

Greetings from the spot I've planted myself in directly in front of my SAD light. It's actually been a few years since the little fella made an appearance, but this week (potentially about to be two) of limited sunshine has made him a necessity. It's hard to believe that just last Saturday I was out in my hammock and applying SPF 30, but now it is 68 and raining, with no end in sight. Also my feet are cold. What a world!

I've made at least some productive use of the definitively indoor weather by catching up on some reading. I just finished a trilogy by the German modernist (sort of) Wolfgang Koeppen, which was way more enjoyable than the description probably makes it sound. As someone who took six years of German but now speaks it so poorly that Berlin McDonald's clerks pityingly answer him in English, I have an affinity for German culture. (But not food, as I prefer my meat to not be openly bleeding.) And I always think the moderns are a good for a laugh (though absolutely not literally). 

I'm also doing a bit of writing, though I will admit to being somewhat blocked for the first time in a while. I googled what to do to fix that and all I got was advice like "find inspiration" (why didn't I think of that?) and "eliminate distractions" (why does the internet hate my dogs?). It also said to not be a perfectionist, so I think I'll just call this "good enough" and sign off for the day.

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?